I am a student teacher in my final year of University in a midsize Canadian city. I want to be a math teacher in order to break students' misconceptions about mathematics and show them how fun math can be.

Thursday 26 September 2013

Classroom Management Problems :(

So one month of teaching has gone by (almost!) and my three and a half classes are going pretty well so far! My grade 10, 11 and 12s are all friendly, respectful, attentive (for the most part!) and fun.  However, my grade 9 class is driving me bonkers!

I teach in a small town where everybody has known each other for years.  I don't know if that adds to the chaos, but my grade nines just can't seem to stop talking!  I have finally trained them to pay attention to me when I am standing in front of the room and teaching or giving instructions.  However, whenever they are working in their desks individually or in groups, they get super loud and rambunctious including yelling and sometimes even pushing and shoving (all in good fun, but still not what a teacher wants to see!).

When we did stations at the beginning of the year, however, those worked amazingly well.  Perhaps I will have to do more station work - but I don't want to overdue that.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete